banner_left banner_text banner_right
Home SiteMap Contact US
./images/banner_winter.jpg banner_right2
nav_extra
mspacer
mspacer
Follow us on Facebook
mspacer
email sign-up
mspacer
Google Custom Search
./images/silhouette_winter.jpg
logo_vermont

  Buy Your License
Get the Lead Out

loon WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?
Lead is a toxic metal. To reduce human exposure, we no longer allow it in our gasoline, paint, or plumbing.

Many wildlife species are harmed by lead. Loons, ducks, and other waterbirds can die of lead poisoning after swallowing lead sinkers.
Since 1989, 60% of analyzed loon deaths in Vermont were directly related to lead ingestion, entanglement with fishing line, or other impacts with fishing gear;
19 of 38 (50%) adult loons died of lead poisoning from ingesting lead sinkers.
An additional four loon deaths (10%) were caused by entanglement or because of swallowing hooks or lures.
In New England, from 1985-2005, over 176 of 381 (46.2%) adult loons died from lead fishing gear.
Lead and Lead Poisoning Effects

WHY CARE SO MUCH ABOUT LOONS?

WHAT SPECIES OTHER THAN LOONS ARE AFFECTED?

HOW CAN ANGLERS HELP?


GET THE LEAD OUT LOON WATCH VOLUNTEERING

HOW CAN I PROPERLY DISPOSE OF MY LEAD SINKERS?

WHAT HAVE OTHER RESEARCHERS FOUND?


WHERE HAVE LEAD SINKERS BEEN BANNED?


FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS


WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ON LEAD SINKERS AND LOONS.


News Articles and Other Fun Stuff
bottom_divider

Copyright © 2003-2014 Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department. All Rights Reserved.

NONGAME WILDLIFE LOGO FW store logo OGT LOGO VPT LOGO RBFF LOGO